Sunday, February 14, 2016

A632.6.3.RB - The High Cost of Conflict

Reflect on a personal or business situation in which the cost of conflict was significantly greater than you would've preferred. Analyze the situation in relation to Stewart Levine's 10 principles of new thinking (p. 46). How would this have changed the situation? Could it have reduced the cost of conflict? What lessons did you learn from this exercise?

The cost of conflict includes direct costs, productivity costs (including quality and safety), continuity costs and emotional costs. For example, direct costs can include using neutral mediators for disagreements with attorneys and judicial system (courts etc). To add fuel to the fire, unfortunately there are many money hungry attorneys and legal firms who play with and use the existing system for greed and their own advantage. An example of productivity cost is the amount of money (cost in dollars or labor hours) an organization loses because of a scenario situation which has impacted production. An employee could be sick and not show up for work. This could require medical attention too which further increases the cost. An employee could be working at a slower rate because of an emotional issue too. Emotional intelligence (EI), i.e., emotional well being is attitude, awareness, understanding and control of emotions as defined researched from Daniel Goleman. Relationships can also be impacted damaged as a result of conflict and the emotional baggage we carry with us causes pain. Sometimes can never let go and it becomes embedded in us. Workers compensation, disability and medical leaves of absence can also impact costs. Continuity costs the way a scenario situation impacts the operating rhythm and team dynamics. For example, the Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership model identifies several team stages, e.g., collaboration and high-performance. Areas that could be impacted include communication, morale, cohesiveness and trust. Team members will look for another job opportunity. One bad apple on a team can be the downfall. Many organizations have employee assistance programs too to get help assistance for employees.  

An example in which the cost of conflict was significantly greater than I would have preferred was one that resulted in a damaged relationship along with emotional scars. A few years ago, I attended a safety fair which included displays of safety projects, processes, exhibits, displays and also outside vendors suppliers. In addition, there were refreshments and giveaways including t-shirts and hats. I was reviewing the safety projects in one of the tents. These were displayed on tri-fold poster boards. As I was proceeding through the line and displays, I was shocked when I saw part of one of my projects being used by another person. I took a closer look and found that some of my work project was included on the display. I knew the person and questioned him about his project and the data collection. His response was that he had created a separate project, however, used part of my project as the foundation. And he was the official project lead too. Unfortunately, my name was not included on the display. Wow! What an experience. So after a brief discussion, I kept walking and then proceeded to talk with several people (including my manager) about this scenario. The feedback to me was to work it out with the other person.

My emotional state was impacted significantly as I could not believe this had happened. I slept on it that night and the net day went into work early to get with the other person. He admitted he should have been more open and candid about what he was doing including recognition, collaboration and creating partnerships. However, I believe there was a hidden agenda of him trying to take all the credit for the project along with making himself look good in front of leadership. As far as trust, respect and understanding, this situation still stays in my mind from this experience. And yes, I reviewed this with my manager etc for follow-up and documentation too. The good thing is that I was in control of my emotional intelligence and this did not impact my overall performance and working together with others on projects. The end result is that I have many great experiences. However, for long term collaborations and learning, this conflict scenario example can impact a relationship, team and organization.

References

Levine, Stuart (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into collaboration (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment